What can I do to upgrade my brakes on my kx500?

Learn how to maintain and rebuild your brakes. Feel free to ask questions.
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 am

I get asked that question many many times..
So what can you do?
Assuming that your master cylinders are in good working order here is what I tell people.

1. Get some after market rotors...
The KX500 rotors were junk... They cut so many slots in them that the pads can't grip the rotor.
Just about any after market rotor will work but I really like the EBC and Galfer products.
A oversized rotor in the front is really good.
270mm is the sweet spot for most people but I really like the 320mm rotor for one finger brake action.

2. Get some good pads. Again, Galfer and EBC make great products.

3. Disassemble your calipers, clean, and replace the seals if required.
Again, I see this all the time... There are two seals in your calipers per piston.
Over time a gooey sludge builds up between the seals and causes major stiction :o
If the pistons are steel I like to polish them before I install them.

4. Stainless Steel brake lines... Makes a huge difference on the action.. Yes, again I like Galfers.
Old brake lines expand as you apply the brakes.
It will make your brakes mushy..

5. Motul 5.1 or equal fluid...
If you go to the effort of cleaning up your brakes you might as well use a good fluid.

6. Make sure your brake linkage and petal are in good working order.
A little grease on the rear brake lever pivot shaft can go a long way to fixing you up.

7. The front brake lever should operate smoothly.
A nice set of ASV levers is always cool :geek:

8. Bleed those brakes.
If your bike has sat a while, it's likely that they need a little attention.

There has been some that have replaced their front brake master cylinder with a newer Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki Master cylinder. IF your master cylinder is junk sure, why not. But if the stock master cylinder is good it will work as good as anything newer excluding Brembo brakes.. Brembo's are sweet.

ride it..
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

dylanash

Re: What can I do to upgrade my brakes on my kx500?

Post by dylanash » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:08 am

Is there any really good rear brake setup/upgrade? is it worth investing to try and convert to a kx450f wheel with a larger 240mm rear rotor as well as a newer style caliper?
Can the factory 220mm rear rotor be made to work better... stainless steel rear brake line and a quality wave style rear rotor with good biting brake pads?
I know most of your braking is done in the front, and that galfer or ebc 270mm setup i imagine would be just amazing, but good rear brakes are helpful to.
I noticed that Scotts makes a sharkfin style rear rotor protector that's solid aluminum that utilizes the wheel axle as well as the caliper bolting straight onto the sharkfin, seems very good. Makes me not want to go to a different wheel and caliper (making this option not work). Unless you could make the kx450f sharkfin work with a modified swingarm... like the Bormi Parts swing arm option?

Would anyone recommend a combination that works really well? Any information would be very helpful.

Sandblaster

Re: What can I do to upgrade my brakes on my kx500?

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 am

Nice set of questions....
But before I comment let me ask you something...
How do you feel about the stock rear brake?
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Brakes”