Prepping a set of KX500 engine cases for rebuilding

Bottom end tips and mods
Sandblaster

Prepping a set of KX500 engine cases for rebuilding

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Prepping a set of KX500 engine cases for rebuilding...
This should be good :D

I have a set of cases that I want to get ready for rebuilding.
One of the first things that I did was clean everything up and look for cracks, repairs, damage to mating surfaces, stripped threads, and measure the main bearing journals.
KX500's are notorious for wearing out the left side journals.
After all, why go through all the effort to get them ready to rebuild and then find some annoying problem... :x

More to come.
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Re: Prepping a set of KX500 engine cases for rebuilding

Post by Sandblaster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 pm

After spending a lot of time looking around my engine case I started noticing a few details...

case refinements 1.JPG
case refinements 1.JPG (12.41 KiB) Viewed 9528 times
Does it hurt to leave it?
Apparently not as Kawasaki thought it was ok to leave.
But I don't like it.
So, I'm removing it.

What about this oil hole.
Believe it or not I have a set of new factory cases and this hole does not even go all the way through.
It's as if only part of the hole got drilled :(
case refinements 2.JPG
case refinements 2.JPG (15.49 KiB) Viewed 9528 times
And this hole:
case refinements 3.JPG
case refinements 3.JPG (11.09 KiB) Viewed 9528 times
Should these be clean up, enlarged, or polished?
YES!!!

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 am

No doubt.
I was really surprised at the volume per sq. in.
No wonder people have trashed their engines :oops:
So now I need to get the other case done...

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 pm

I did a bit of clean up on all the oil galley holes.
I did not enlarge any of them but merely cleaned up the approach and on some the exit holes.
clean up of oil holes 2.JPG
clean up of oil holes 2.JPG (30.85 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
clean up of oil holes 3.JPG
clean up of oil holes 3.JPG (8.36 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
clean up of oil holes 4.JPG
clean up of oil holes 4.JPG (23.29 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
clean up of oil holes 1.JPG
clean up of oil holes 1.JPG (22.96 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
clean up of oil holes 7.JPG
clean up of oil holes 7.JPG (20.79 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
Ok, now flame away :shock:

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Now it's time for the other case :(

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 am

Like most of these steps, Motorrad tuned me up and introduced Timesaver for lapping cases.
It's a awesome product..

Looks like it's time for a product review :D

http://www.ws2coating.com/timesaverlapp ... ounds.aspx

The Timesaver Products Company Incorporated was founded in 1919, and while the company name has changed and relocated over the years, Timesaver Lapping Compound is still the leader in non-charging abrasive compounds. Timesaver Lapping Compounds are currently manufactured by Micro Surface Corporation in San Jose, CA. and are available for distribution worldwide. The lapping compound is still manufactured in two classes of abrasive compounds, grades for ferrous metals and grades for non-ferrous metals and can be identified by their colors of green and yellow respectively.

Unlike other lapping compounds, Timesaver Lapping Compounds do not contain emery, silicon carbide, aluminum oxide or similar permanent charging abrasives. It will not charge into any metal surface or continue to cut. The lapping compound has a cutting action that is rapid at first and gradually diminishes as the abrasive particles disintegrate into inoperative material. The finishing action is such that surface irregularities and surplus metal is gently and quickly removed without disturbing the natural metal structure.

Timesaver Lapping Compound is manufactured expressly for the purpose of fitting and smoothing the bearing or contacting surfaces of rotating, oscillating or sliding parts of a mechanism. Assembly lapping of parts with Timesaver Lapping Compound, regardless of shape, size or the part involved, will result in precision fits, proper oil clearance and a microscopically fine finish.

Timesaver Lapping Compound cannot replace all of the other lapping compounds available, but if you are hand fitting pieces, have a hot bearing, gear noise or other demanding application where complete disassembly is not desirable, Timesaver Lapping Compounds may be the answer.

Technical Data

Timesaver Lapping Compounds are formulated to first act as an abrasive, then diminish to a polish and finally to inert material. Other ingredients in the compound conglomerate the fines to prevent imbedding in the metal being lapped.

All compounds have a range of particle sizes with most of the work being done by the largest particles. The selection of the grade depends more upon the amount of metal to be removed than the finish because the abrasive breaks down to a finer and finer size and eventually to a polish material.

Applications

Split Bearings - Mix Timesaver Compound with light or medium oil to the consistency of a thin paste and apply to the bearing halves. Add a little oil to the surfaces; also apply oil to the shaft. Bolt up cap - not too tightly, just so shaft can be easily turned by hand; then proceed to lap. At intervals add sufficient oil to the surfaces to prevent them from becoming dry. Take up on bearings gradually as high spots are removed, applying fresh compound when necessary. When a full bearing surface has been obtained, tighten cap to final fit, add a few drops of oil and continue to lap for a short time without adding fresh compound. This operation produces a final finish and proper running oil clearance, which should not be changed or varied after bearing has been flushed out with diesel oil or Stoddard Solvent for final assembly. Timesaver-lapped bearings should not feel as tight as scraped or machined bearings because no allowance is necessary for the wearing-down of high spots. Lapped bearings are the same as broken-in bearings.

Sleeve Bearings - Fit bearings snugly to shaft. Apply Timesaver mixed with oil to bearing and shaft. Insert shaft and lap with a twisting motion, adding oil frequently until proper clearance is obtained. Flush out with diesel or Stoddard Solvent.

Hot Bearings - Mix a small amount of Timesaver with oil. The mixture must be very thin. Apply freely to bearings and shaft through oil holes. Rotate the shaft. Add the thin mixture until bearing is free. Then flush out with diesel or Stoddard Solvent and lubricate as in normal practice.

Gears - Mix Timesaver Compound with oil proportions of about one part Timesaver to three or four parts of oil (by volume). The use of heavy oil is advisable as this procedure prevents the mixture from being thrown from the gears and wasted. Apply mixture sparingly either by pouring or with a paint brush. When gears run quietly, flush out with diesel oil or Stoddard Solvent.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:08 am

I use 100 grit "very fine" if the cases are not to bad.
For bad cases I use 60 "Medium"

timesaver.png
timesaver.png (124.03 KiB) Viewed 8094 times

ATF works great as a oil but I have used 30wt, and 10-40 :lol:
What you do is mix up a small bit of the yellow powder with the oil.
Mix it well.
I like to take a small block of wood and screw the bottom case to a wood table top or a small piece of plywood.
Then I liberally apply the Timesaver/oil mix to the mating surfaces of the cases.
I then put a bolt loosely into the end of one of the cases.
Then I move the top case back and forth several times.
Next, move the bolt to the other end of the cases and again move the top case back and forth several times.
I do this in the same pattern that I torque the case bolts.
Around and around we go.
Then check once in a while.. Add more Timesaver as required..

case lapping.JPG
case lapping.JPG (69.4 KiB) Viewed 8092 times

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Seals aren't the only place for a potential air leak.
This is a troubled spot pointed out by Motorrad.
A small punch, cleaning, patience, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and some J-B Weld will fix this area up nicely.
Good vision would also help...
PUNCH CLEAN UP.JPG
PUNCH CLEAN UP.JPG (40.94 KiB) Viewed 9400 times
Remember, if there is any oil or debris, J-B Weld will not stick and you've just wasted your time :o

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Here is the same view after clean up with a stainless steel wire wheel and carb cleaner.
PUNCH CLEAN UP -.JPG
PUNCH CLEAN UP -.JPG (40.75 KiB) Viewed 9398 times

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 am

Nice!
Hope mine hangs in there like that :)

Return to “Bottom end”