Gotta have 2.....

Bike Builds and rebuilds. Post pics and discuss your projects.
B4himdude

Gotta have 2.....

Post by B4himdude » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Seems like finding a good crank case for a k5 is getting harder and harder. Ive bought matched cases with spun journals and unmatched cases alike. Being told they are good just to receive them and find otherwise. Tried a couple things with the main journals to find that the only epoxy that WILL serve as a long term fix is a brand cAlled Belzona. Product # 1511. It's not cheap either. $360 bucks for a 1 kg /2 component kit. But once hardened it withstands local temperatures up to 350 degrees F. Plus it handles the chemical attack the oils and any gas escaping from the combustion chamber may hit it with. The other options I've found to be worthy of holding the bearing tight are sleeving the journal with a piece of pipe lathed to the diameter both I/d and0/d needed. But finding the lathe to do the job is the tough find there. And finally hard chroming the main journals back to the correct specs for the crank bearings is another option. The least expensive I've found is $500 bucks a journal . So there's that. I'm sure there's other not so permanent options . Like peen ing the bearing in the journal or welding it in. Jb weld last about a week before it breaks down . But finally I did find 2 sets of cases that are still in good/ damn good shape. The only thing is I gotta have 2 k5's due to the fact if I only have one I'll beat the piss out of it and end up with one more wasted case.

Sandblaster

Re: Gotta have 2.....

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:18 pm

It's nice to have you hear at our site..
There is at least one more process.
You actually plate the OD of the bearings :shock:
I believe it is called Hard Nickel plating, or brush plating.
It is done on a lathe with a brush.
Last I heard it was about 50-75 per bearing.
That was about 10 years ago.
A local guy use to do it but has since retired.
I'd check into it.

And 500 per bearing for Hard chrome plating is a joke.
They just didn't want to do it.
Check around a bit more.
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Re: Gotta have 2.....

Post by Sandblaster » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:36 am

Oh, and my site allows for hosting our own pics so don't feel bashful about posting :-)
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Bike Builds and rebuilds”