Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Bike Builds and rebuilds. Post pics and discuss your projects.
Crofter985

Re: Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Post by Crofter985 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:25 pm

That's a coal burner, should do better than that ;)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Oh that's right, I'm thinking MPH not KPH :lol:
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:03 am

The turbo came in the post, it is bigger, most importantly it is much bigger inside.
The other thing I was hoping for a result on was the lack of restriction on the turbine entry.
It looks more different than it actually is here, the head exhaust port is 41mm diameter and the turbine entry is 43mm. Just from memory the other turbo has an entry of 35-36mm so that should ease exhaust pressure. Which will be a good thing as long as the flow of exhaust gas is sufficient to spool this turbine.
All things which will become clear through time.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:18 am

It would sure be easy to make the intake and turbine port diameters match... 8-)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:20 am

In fact, take a look at what size the gasket ID is for the exhaust port...
Is it 43mm or a little bigger?

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:37 am

It could be 43mm. I tried a OEM gasket but it did not sit on well with the manifold, I ended up making one out of copper which seems to be working out ok. What is probably the best thing to do is open out the exhaust port a bit. Perhaps not right away but at some time. And anyway a manifold will have to be made. So over the 3-4" of the manifold if I taper it from 41-43mm it should still give good gas flow.
I do have the head with big valves laying by. That head could easily need a opened out exhaust port. It is +1mm on the exhausts and just standard on the inlets. I also got hold of two "R" inlet cams which are +4 degree duration, as the inlet and exhaust are the same cams I thought to run two inlet cams, this would do away with the KARC but I do have the option to lower the compression as I have a piston from a Yamaha rhino with a lower crown to go in, I could tailor the compression with that, it also is a +3mm bore and I have a bored out cylinder ready too. Now if I'm having trouble spooling that new turbo, that stuff might help. :D

Bix Weir

Post by Bix Weir » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:40 pm

I would really like to see the bigger head... Cam's, and bigger piston...
It's just more dollars.... But you can't take it with you so.... spending spree!!!! :lol:

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:05 pm

I have it all already, I've been at this project for so long it's given me time to do thing like buying the cams, I just waited till one then another came up on eBay. I ordered the 1mm oversize valves from a company called Manley in the US. Then I got seat cutters and have already fitted them to the head. It's all sitting in my shed ready to go. I have been trying to not get to distracted by it all, just keeping on track with getting the already built engine and bike running. A lot of these parts were not ready for the first build anyway.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 am

i have been neglecting this project and page, shame on me. last time i laid a spanner on the bike was late july. and it wont be seeing another this year i expect. too many other non bike things to do.

however i have been researching the symptoms that the bike displayed and i think a lot of the problems with the bike running rough would be ignition problems and possibly just a spark plug gap fix could be it. the bigger turbo is still going to go on. i have found more evidence on other turbo build threads i have stumbled on to support the big turbo direction. so we will see how that goes when i get time.

mike, you seem a busy guy, some great engine work there.

sorry if you have been left hanging people, i will be back, so will the "turbo supermoto", back as soon as i can.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:17 pm

It's funny how life gets in the way of our toys :lol:
I can't wait to see how the bigger turbo does....

Return to “Bike Builds and rebuilds”