Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Bike Builds and rebuilds. Post pics and discuss your projects.
Crofter985

Re: Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Post by Crofter985 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Fuel pissing out.
Around the pump gasket and at the pressure side of the FPR.
The paint melted too, just to put a cherry on top. So there was nothing to do but empty the tank. Look at it, what a mess. On the upside though I tested the FPR pressure as I was emptying the tank and it's good. 0-2.5psi by adjusting the screw under the nut on the top.
So good things and not so good things, hey, that's life baby!!!!

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:15 pm

I won't be painting it again, I don't get on well with paint.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:32 pm

The pump was leaking because there was not enough crimp on the rubber seal. It was probably in the welding the section of the fireblade tank got depressed in the middle. So my solution was to make a press and die to lift the bottom of the pump so it allowed the pump to get pressed up more onto the rubber seal.
So, test 2, the seal on the pump is good now but still some leaks from the banjo bolts. Just a drip now and again. Ok so I'm thinking with some good sealant it will be good. So I hooked up the carb. More leaks. I had the pressure up around 4psi and the float valve leaked past but even more pissing off was the float bowl seal leaked too. Bugger. So I sripped it all down to put some sealant on it.
The pump was leaking because there was not enough crimp on the rubber seal. It was probably in the welding the section of the fireblade tank got depressed in the middle. So my solution was to make a press and die to lift the bottom of the pump so it allowed the pump to get pressed up more onto the rubber seal.
So, test 2, the seal on the pump is good now but still some leaks from the banjo bolts. Just a drip now and again. Ok so I'm thinking with some good sealant it will be good. So I hooked up the carb. More leaks. I had the pressure up around 4psi and the float valve leaked past but even more pissing off was the float bowl seal leaked too. Bugger. So I sripped it all down to put some sealant on it. Here is a video I made while the pump was running. Leaks might be sorted now. With a little less base pressure the needle valve might be ok.
Here is a video I made while the pump was running. Leaks might be sorted now. With a little less base pressure the needle valve might be ok.

http://youtu.be/zwzMnOiXtaY

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah... I never even considered those issues but putting pressure on a non pressure system is bound to cause a few leaks :lol:
One thing I know... You'll get it sorted out..
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:03 pm

Well I am a bit surprised how difficult it is to tighten the connections. I will have to get it sorted or it will be a fireball on the dyno when the boost ramps up the fuel pressure.
Yeh, few issues to sort, the leaks in today's test was where the pipes join the fittings. Gonna try different pipe and clips. The float valve is leaking by at 2psi so in conversation with a guy about a new one.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:41 am

Had the float valve leaking at 0psi, the little spacer plate I made out of the FPR I ruined seems to be working good though, I can adjust the pressure from about 0psi (although I think it must be just the + side of that) to 2.5psi.
I ordered a new float valve and it arrived, I fitted it and I'm getting nearly to 2psi before leak past now.
In this picture the spanner is just there so I can see the top of the emulsion tube easier.
It is sitting around 1.5psi there with no leak.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:15 pm

At least that is something... I'm beginning to wonder if adapting a EFI system would be easier....
What do you think is the minimum fuel pressure that you will need to maintain?

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Sandblaster wrote:At least that is something... I'm beginning to wonder if adapting a EFI system would be easier....
What do you think is the minimum fuel pressure that you will need to maintain?
Yes, if I had gone the efi route I might have been finished now. Still, I think the carb will do the business, I have a seal kit on the way too, I should have ordered the float valve and the seal kit together, but hey? I need a few little fittings made up but I have all the materials to make them up. I even put the chain on the other day!! Not far off now.

That's a good question, minimum fuel pressure, no idea. I have set the base fuel pressure to around 1.5psi that is fuel pressure when there neutral(static sea level pressure 14.5psi) when there is more pressure than neutral then the pressure reference to the FPR will raise this by that amount. So if I have 5psi of boost I will have 5+1.5psi of fuel pressure, it's rising rate fuel pressure they call it.
Excuse me if I broke that down too much.

Couple of more days with no distractions and the beast might live !!!!!! :)

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Here is another thing crossed off the list. Some methanol. I tried to get some delivered, crazy delivery prices to the island, if, they even would. Cut a long story short, I asked a local supplier if had any. He said "I've got a 205l drum, take it or leave it" ok I'll take it. What else was I to do?

Any guesses how long it would take me to use that? Or how many engines it would last out? :)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:31 am

Lol... well... I'm sure you will find additional uses for it :lol:

Solvent
Windshield washer fluid

Four parts hydrogen, one part oxygen, and one part carbon..
Gotta be some other cool stuff you can do with it around the shop...

Return to “Bike Builds and rebuilds”