Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Bike Builds and rebuilds. Post pics and discuss your projects.
Crofter985

Re: Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Post by Crofter985 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 am

I was looking at that, that top triple is a bit cheesy looking. Ah, no matter, need to get it running well for now. Maybe a tear down over there he winter and tart up some of the parts. You have no doubt noticed the fuel has melted the paint off the frame. Oh dear.
If I lived any closer I would probably be in your place every day looking for something, so by now you would be totally sick of me. Ha ha. Anyway I appreciate your sentiment,Mike, I'm sure you would. :) 8-)

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 pm

More things sorted today.
Doesn't it look nice.
Here is the ported wastegate.
Moving swiftly on. I got it ready for a run.
Well I was ready for anything. I had high hopes.
Wellllllll, it was ok, it picked up speed ok but no bucking bronco, wild untamed animal, type behaviour.
Perhaps I have backed off the ignition too much, perhaps the turbo is too small, the fueling is still off a good bit, that can't be helping.
Anyhoo I had time for one circuit of the road near us and then had to go help out at preparations for a community event that is being held this weekend. So I shall be dreaming up a strategy between now and breakfast time.
Not the start I hoped for but what the hell, if it comes too easy, where's the fun in that?

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:31 am

That bike is a beauty... 8-)
And... Running lean will kill your power...
So, you know what you gotta do :lol:
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:12 am

One more thing it was as loud, very loud, and the AFRs was rich if anything. I'm wondering if the noise is a symptom of the over retarded ignition. I mean the ignition event is happening too late and the gasses are still burning in the exhaust. The exhaust and turbo does get very hot. I'll try advancing the ignition some and see how it goes.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:16 am

I got the plastics on today.
A sleeper on the port side.
A bit less sleeper on the starboard side.
I advanced the ignition on the map where the boost was above 5-8psi, I had pulled back the ignition quite a lot there, just to give safety from detonation, obviously too much as it made the bike run a fair bit better with the advancement, the exhaust ran a lot cooler too, in anti lag systems on competition ignitions the ignition is retarded to cut power production while keeping the turbo spooled. Same thing I was experiencing. There is more enthusiasm from the engine now but the clutch is slipping a bit now. Not a lot but enough to take the edge off the performance. I have upped the gearing too from 15-43 to 15-38 so that will soften the response. I'm not trying to make up excuses, just talking through what's going on. It's maybe the possible scenario that the turbo is too small, the power and boost coming so early it does not have that hit that a more lag prone set up would. But I must have a go at sorting this clutch first. The first 100 yards this morning was more front wheel up than down, I think after that the clutch was letting it down. It is quick, it's deceptive, which translates into not as wild as I expected.
Anyhoo I will try to get some video tomorrow.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:21 am

Dual stage turbo? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:05 am

That was one of the things that was going through my mind this morning, ha ha, I have that gt1549 I got originally for this project. I could put them both on. Now I have just written that down it seems even more bananas, it's like a monsoon outside just now, no video weather, going to trawl eBay for a cheap turbo. ;)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Oh yeah..... :D

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm

I've ordered a new old stock gt2256 hopefully the turbine housing will handle the exhaust ok, well I think just off the cuff, it will be ok. There is a company who turbo bikes for snowtracks that put 2256s on Ktm/crf450s and the like so I think it will be good, well I guess it still could be too small. ????? Anyhoo, the thunder products power jet arrived, it got to the uk really quick but cot stuck in customs for a few days. And today I ordered a one stage colder plug. It was a part number from the NGK racing range and it is expensive, surprise surprise.
I'm off on holiday for a week then off to work for 3weeks so I'll have a nice stack of parts to play with when I get back :)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:52 pm

Will this be your next dyno run???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nN29yuwEdE

Return to “Bike Builds and rebuilds”