Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Bike Builds and rebuilds. Post pics and discuss your projects.
Crofter985

Re: Crofter985'S KLX650C supermoto build

Post by Crofter985 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Yeh I did a run just after that with the smaller slow jet in, it ran much nearer to the ideal AFRs, crisper on the pickup.
I am now prepping the bike for the road.
A few days work. Leaking clutch cover gasket and few odds and ends to sort. Going to take most of the gauges off, all that will be left is the inlet air pressure, afr and not made up my mind about the exhaust temp. Might leave it temporarily.

Deni$

Post by Deni$ » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:45 pm

bike is running lean
Yes, I'm totally agree with you. I changed both of jets (main jet was #142 (#138/#140 in the manual) and pilot jet was #40 (#40/#38 in the manual). But fuel screw in the carburetor was turn out more then 2.25 round. It was turned out on the 10 (TEN) rounds. It was too much. There was black smoke from the exhaust. And even at that time the idle speed was ok.
As I have mentioned I tried to change the jets. Mostly I decided that I have to change pilot jet on the higher number (to make fuel mix more rich). When I did it the fuel screw in the carburetor couldn't change the rpm in the engine. I tried to screw it out but the for the engine was the same situation - the rpm were to high(( Float level in the carburetor is ok (-0.5 + 1.5mm).
Should I change the main jet too?

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:04 pm

I think your slow jet is still too small, a 42 or 45 maybe and 148-150 for the main would be more appropriate.
Are you reading your spark plug?

Deni$

Post by Deni$ » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 pm

My spark plug is dry and black. The mixture is not lean (rich). I have the 42 or 43 size pilot jet. Do anybody have the same problem with your klx?

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:48 am

Yesterday I took the clutch cover off to fix the leak on the gasket. The oil was pretty dirty looking when I drained it. Then when the clutch cover came off and the oil drained away and the oil that was caught there dripped away there was sludge left under the cover in the void that the Kickstarter used to live. The engine was completely apart and clean, or so I thought, before the engine was run so I think the only place this could have come from is the clutch. The clutch is still the original plates, I saw a guy rebuilding an engine where he recommended not putting a new clutch in a newly rebuilt motor as it would fill the clutch with the metal fragments from the newly built motor. So anyway I have put the new clutch friction plates I had in the clutch, but I'm wondering now whether some washers or spacers to pre load the clutch springs would be an idea?
See also in this picture how cooked the exhaust looks, wow.
Here is the new wastegate actuator. I also got the turbine housing off the turbo and drilled the wastegate port out from 14.5mm to 19mm, it was the biggest I could drill it and still keep a reasonable sealing surface around the poppet valve, I also did a bit of blending with a carbide burr around the port it was not blended before, just a little rounded from the casting process so the hole is 58% bigger and blended. Should be an improvement in flow.
What does anyone think of this spark plug? The colour looks not too bad to me but maybe the electrode says it should be a colder plug?

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Trying a colder plug wouldn't hurt.... If its wrong you'll just foul a plug :o
I listened to your dyno run again.... I think 3rd gear is going to be a wild child :lol:
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 pm

oh... clutch issues...
Yes, you will most likely use up your clutch a bit faster especially especially with what you are doing.
And that will make your engine oil dirty faster.
Heavier springs will help but make your clutch pull harder.
You can offset the difference if you lengthen the clutch actuator lever that goes into the engine... Not the hand lever...

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:11 pm

I might just add spacers it is almost certainly going to need it.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:06 pm

I made 4mm washers to go under the springs, has stiffened up the action but not overly so.
Sorting out some wiring and piping as well.
The new dashboard.
That will do, if I have any more to look at I won't see it. ;)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:41 am

I like the dash.
Too bad you didn't live a bit closer... I'd run your top triple clamp through the vapor blaster, and whatever other raw aluminum parts you have :-)

Return to “Bike Builds and rebuilds”