A huge wad of KX500 questions...

Need help with your dirt bike?
Feel free to ask.
Sandblaster

A huge wad of KX500 questions...

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:23 am

Here is a FB request I received today....

Hey you write check you out on Facebook so I am. Couple thousand more questions but il leave it to like 4 or 5. 2 of them are about your profile pic.
1) how do you get a hold of black side plates. Who makes and distributes them?

A) UFO Plastics makes them.
Here is a company selling them:
http://www.motoparthub.com/KA03721001_U ... oC_l3w_wcB

Mine were used when I received them... And really beat up... I haven't helped that much..

And 2) is the kx 500 rear fender something that doesn't look as good as the 250 fender it is it something other than aesthetics for the reason people prefer that fender on the 500? I don't know it's a 250 fender it's just not a 500 one!

A) Aesthetics only.

Your main super motto looks good.
I'm all about the dirt.

A) Me too, that's why I have two KX500's..

I was the one who was building the 2nd 500 and was playing hell with my journals. You told me what some people do like weld the bearings in or peen em. Then I came across a product called Belzona. Just about went for it but gambled on the last " complete " bottom end 89-04 I've seen since I put a $400 bid on it and got it. When it showed up it was dirty as hell inside and out . The governor wasn't there the clutch plates were dried the clutch to transmission ball bearing spun in the journal and what else .??? Oh the left half of the crankshaft( get this) bearing was spun on the shaft not the journal. Put a new( or another ) clutch to transmission bearing in the journal and low and behold the bearing journal was good there too. So I pressed in new mains. Put in another crankshaft a governor and new plates. Cleaned it first but anyway. It's my first good deal in any case related purchase on eBay. By the skin of my teeth . So now I have two halves on two separate crank shaders that are good and a new rod and bearing kit. Here's the other question ; what does it take to press that crankshaft apart?

A) A press and a fixture to hold the crank.

Oh question 4 is there a jig like a steel paint can or something the same diameter I can use to align the lives when pressing it together ?

A) There are fixtures but I do not own one.
I send mine to Millennium Technologies and have them assemble, True, and weld them.

I know a service shop is preferred due to the balancing but it has to be aligned regardless?

A) Yes, they must be aligned.

Any tricks to share?

A) Look on youtube. There are several vids on how to press them back together and align.

That 2 piece clutch cover would be the thing if I had that kinda cash at the moment. I need to buy something from you. You've supported me with great advice. And I haven't supported back. It's not intentional I promise.

A( No worries, just pass it forward.
The two piece clutch covers are expensive but not terribly difficult to do.
If you have someone with a milling machine and another who welds aluminum your there.
Just buy and adapter ring from me and your ready to go.
Oh, DO NOT buy another from me off eBay... Always contact me direct and you will save some dough..

I have a suspension question? It's about the nitrogen chamber foe the monoshock assembly.
I know nitrogen is the preferred gas to pressurize the chamber with ,but I just use compressed air.
I do this because it all bleeds past the seals or whatever. And compressed air is easier to come by.
So what I'm asking is there a kit for replacing seals and/or components on that chamber?
Or does a person just have to get a whole new chamber assembly? Kx500 89-2004 Coby.

A) First, Nitrogen is better because Nitrogen molecules are bigger then air Molecules and it won't bleed out as fast.
Second, air is not very stable compared to Nitrogen and will heat up changing the rebound and dampening and will condensate unlike Nitrogen.
There are seal head kits but that is not where you are leaking air from.
There is a rubber bladder inside the short piece of the shock that the valve is in.
But from what you have said you really should just rebuild the shock.
If you do it yourself, it isn't very expensive and there are several good vids on how to do it on eBay.
You will need the correct year of shock that you have in order to rebuild it.
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Questions about your bike?”