89 XR600 slipping in and out out of second gear

Need help with your dirt bike?
Feel free to ask.
Sandblaster

89 XR600 slipping in and out out of second gear

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:38 pm

This is a question from Doug in Queensland Australia.

Q. Hi there I have a 89 XR600 which is slipping in and out out of second gear. I have contacted Honda here in Queensland Australia, shift forks and second gear will cost over $500 plus a full gasket kit. As this is just a weekend bush bike im trying to keep the repair cost down can you help with second hand parts that will fix the problem?
Regards Doug

A. Hi Doug.
We could throw a bunch of parts at the problem and possibly fix it.
However, you don't really know that the shift forks or anything else is the problem.
You could have a bad gear or gears, you could have bad shift forks, bad shift drum, bad shift cam assembly, or something as simple as a broken cir-clip that holds the gears to the shaft.
While I enjoy selling parts I don't think you need to buy parts until you know for sure what it is that you need.
If you don't have a service manual, I highly recommend that you get one as there is specs there that nobody will take the time and look up for you (Except for us).
Have you split your cases?
If not, start with the simple things first.
Check your shift cam assembly and make sure nothing is loose or out of spec.
Once the shift cam assembly has been verified to be good then you need to split the cases and you'll have a much better idea of what you need.
Let me know what you find and I'll do what I can to help.
Thanks!
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Re: 89 XR600 slipping in and out out of second gear

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Q:
I appreciate your help, not many are interisted in helping repair older bikes. Another thing to note, my bike has a damaged output shaft spline at the sprocket, so maybe a full transmission would be quickest. what repair manual would you recommend?
doug

A:
I always get a Clymer manual first, then I look for others if I can't find the Clymer.
Can you email me a pic of the output shaft damage?
Might be able to repair it.

Sandblaster

Re: 89 XR600 slipping in and out out of second gear

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Q:
I will split the cases after the 14th. Just downloaded a Honda Service Manual. It seems comprehensive enough. text your email to my mobile ********** and I will send some pics when home, the output shaft leading edge of the spline appeared chipped for the first 5mm on all sections, im stiil riding the bike and its OK but want to fix it while apart.
A couple of questions mate
Will I be able to complete this repair without any special tools? I have a compressor, rattle gun and all common hand tools plus measuring instruments. Any ideas as to sourcing a full gasket kit from the US? Honda here dont have a full kit, got to buy them one at a time.
Doug

A:
Well, at a minimum you will need a fly wheel puller such as the following:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... er&_sop=15

You may need additional tools such as a case splitter or a accurate micrometer:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=xr ... r&_sacat=0

Here is some gasket sets:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=xr ... t&_sacat=0

Return to “Questions about your bike?”