Assembling K5 KIPS

All about your top end :-)
kennymac131

Assembling K5 KIPS

Post by kennymac131 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 pm

I just got done watching the KX Guru videos and I have a couple of questions...

1. Does it matter if you use grease when assembling or 2 stroke oil? Seems to me that everything gets coated with oil when running anyway so... I use oil.

2. I noticed that the ports looked different than mine. I'm assuming that was a modified cylinder? Which lead me to my last question...

3. It may have been the lighting or the camera angle or whatever but when actuating the rod in that video, was the port actually fully closed/blocked?

I spent a lot of time making sure the travel of my rod was limited because it seemed that the valves were over-rotating and the ports were exposed (open) a little. Its my understanding that at low RPM the flap should be down and the ports fully closed and everything starts to open up with increased RPM.

Someone please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Ken
2001 KX500
1999 KX250

Sandblaster

Re: Assembling K5 KIPS

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:58 pm

kennymac131 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 pm
I just got done watching the KX Guru videos and I have a couple of questions...

1. Does it matter if you use grease when assembling or 2 stroke oil? Seems to me that everything gets coated with oil when running anyway so... I use oil.
Jason typically uses assembly lube for bikes that are going to be ran right away.
For bikes that will likely be in storage for a while before usage Jason uses a heavier assembly lube or assembly grease.
You can certainly use 2T oil and it is better then nothing.
The reason for the assembly lube is because it stays on the parts longer the 2T oil will and should help with break in.
kennymac131 wrote:
2. I noticed that the ports looked different than mine. I'm assuming that was a modified cylinder? Which lead me to my last question...
We used a stock 89-04 cylinder.
If you post pics of the inside and outside of your cylinder I can tell you what year yours is.
If yours is a 89-04 likely the difference is in how clean ours is 8-)
kennymac131 wrote:
3. It may have been the lighting or the camera angle or whatever but when actuating the rod in that video, was the port actually fully closed/blocked?
In the video it's hard to get the lighting just right.
We actually adjust how ours open and shut by using a modded kips bolt.
As a side benefit it helps reduce kips chatter...
kennymac131 wrote:
I spent a lot of time making sure the travel of my rod was limited because it seemed that the valves were over-rotating and the ports were exposed (open) a little. Its my understanding that at low RPM the flap should be down and the ports fully closed and everything starts to open up with increased RPM.

Someone please let me know. Thanks in advance.
We do several things to our Kips asy to make them fully closed at idle and full opened at WOT.
They don't necessarily do that from the factory especially when they have wear on them ;)
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Top End”