UPDATING KX500 SUSPENSION.

Forks, shocks, linkage
Sandblaster

Re: UPDATING KX500 SUSPENSION.

Post by Sandblaster » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Yes... It's hard to manage a web forum when incorrect info is posted... What do you do?
You can't always verify and correct.
That's one of the reasons I made the "Consolidated KX500 Suspension upgrades"
It basically has the latest info that we have verified and know that works.

For the 04-11 YZ250F and 04-12 YZ450F forks I have the following info recorded:
UPPER 55.9MM
LOWER 59.2MM

So that is within normal tolerances of what you posted 8-)

"Posting pics on this site"
Yes, they need to be around 750k, yours were about 2M :lol:
IMG_20171020_160205806.jpg
IMG_20171020_160205806.jpg (186.1 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
IMG_20171020_160147400.jpg
IMG_20171020_160147400.jpg (460.93 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:00 pm

On the knurling... great thinking...
I should have considered that as I worked in a machine shop for 15 years and designed many roller systems with knurling.
I even designed a double knurling head so you could knurl a cross hatch pattern all in one pass :lol:
But it was deemed to hard on the lathe for the type of knurling pattern they wanted :(

One product that you may want to consider in the future is Retaining Compound.

Retaining Compound and its Industrial Benefits

Loctite Retaining Compounds are anaerobic adhesives that can secure bearings, bushes and cylindrical parts into housings or onto shafts. They achieve maximum load transmission capability and uniform stress distribution, as well as eliminating fretting corrosion. Applied as a liquid, they form a 100 % contact between mating metal surfaces, eliminating the need for expensive replacement parts, time consuming machining or the use of mechanical methods. Loctite Retaining Compounds fill the inner space between components and cure to form a strong precision assembly.

LoctiteKeyvisualretaining_605_169866_web_606W.jpg
LoctiteKeyvisualretaining_605_169866_web_606W.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 9159 times
This stuff is amazing... BUt it is murder getting it apart so know when to use it and how much :-)

Markee757

Post by Markee757 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Sandblaster wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:00 pm
On the knurling... great thinking...
I should have considered that as I worked in a machine shop for 15 years and designed many roller systems with knurling.
I even designed a double knurling head so you could knurl a cross hatch pattern all in one pass :lol:
But it was deemed to hard on the lathe for the type of knurling pattern they wanted :(

One product that you may want to consider in the future is Retaining Compound.

Retaining Compound and its Industrial Benefits

Loctite Retaining Compounds are anaerobic adhesives that can secure bearings, bushes and cylindrical parts into housings or onto shafts. They achieve maximum load transmission capability and uniform stress distribution, as well as eliminating fretting corrosion. Applied as a liquid, they form a 100 % contact between mating metal surfaces, eliminating the need for expensive replacement parts, time consuming machining or the use of mechanical methods. Loctite Retaining Compounds fill the inner space between components and cure to form a strong precision assembly.

LoctiteKeyvisualretaining_605_169866_web_606W.jpg

This stuff is amazing... BUt it is murder getting it apart so know when to use it and how much :-)
I think the site is great. Sure has gave me a head start on a lot of questions. Also hope to add some info to help others.

I was really trying to use KX trees to use the plastics. Old enough I though machining parts to make them work would be less of a hassle to rig a number plate and fender, haha.

I'll look into the "retaining compound" from loctite, Curious what minimal fit is needed to work? We at one time had Belzona at work. But all I found was some dried up canisters. More I thought about it, the top bearing surface isn't perfect on the stem, so I might want to remove the stem later and swap it out, so I moved away from the permanent options.

You know, if you look closely at the frame head tube, you can tell they just welded bearing cups on the top and bottom. I really think the easiest fix to a modern front end is to change the top cup altogether. Its one cut around to the top tube, a little debur bit action around the top tube gusset, weld in new bearing cup and you are done. Would not even need a frame jig. Two tapered cones and a piece of all thread would be a great tool to align the cups and pull string from to verify top cup is centered with top tube.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:36 am

Awesome idea.
Do, it, document it, and post it here 8-)

Return to “Suspension”