KX500 Clutch Washers.

Salt Lake K5 Guy

KX500 Clutch Washers.

Post by Salt Lake K5 Guy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 am

Hi, everyone.
Here is a stupid question. I have 2 KX500 motors here. I was putting the clutch back together on one, and looked at the order in which I had stacked up the parts. The 2 were different. The difference was in the washers. One is a 92022 on the parts diagram, and the other is 92022A. One is really thick. The other is kinda thick. One goes behind the clutch basket. The other goes behind the clutch hub.( 92022A goes behind the basket) But which is that the fat one, or skinny one? Frankly, I’ve done it both ways, and it worked either way just fine, but the clutch gets adjusted a little different. I’ve just done it so many times, I can’t remember which one is right! Does anyone have an example of either washer, and a thickness on that? I’m trying to set up a Radius X clutch, and something is screwy. Might be washer flip. I’m just wondering if anyone can make this easy, or I have to start swapping and micrometer-ing stuff.

Thanks,
Brent.

Sandblaster

Re: KX500 Clutch Washers.

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:43 am

Hi Brent.
It's not a stupid question.
In fact, this is a great opportunity to show how to do some research on your own :lol:
Yes, I could tell you off the top of my head but... I won't :shock:
First, buy a Service manual.
It's worth it's weight in gold.

But, this research can be done without one.
Go to www.partzilla.com of any other online parts house.
Look up your make, model, and year.

CLUTCH.png
CLUTCH.png (181.97 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
Now... look at the pic closely..
Without having any measurements you should be able to see a clear difference between the two washers.
But let's say that you can make heads or tails of it.
Look at the parts numbers below.
Notice anything interesting? 8-)

CLUTCH2.png
CLUTCH2.png (71.84 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:47 am

92022 - WASHER,22.5X46X2.6 92022-1739

22.5X46X2.6 That is the dimensions of the washer.
Granted, both washers don't have measurements but in this case one does.
Use the process of elimination :lol:

Any questions?
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Salt Lake K5 Guy

Post by Salt Lake K5 Guy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:21 am

Mike,
Thanks for reminding me about the fact that some of the online parts lists for the diagrams have measurements on common hardware! I hadn’t quite gotten that far yet when I did the shout out. Ya see, what had happened wuz...
The short version is that I threw in a brand new Rekluse Radius X the other nite, late (🍺), and was to go riding Monday morning with a buddy. All I had to do was check the adjustment and give it a quick break in. When I got up in the morning, I fired up the bike, and it wouldn’t idle in gear like it should. I had the cable at full extension, and it still didn’t have near enough gap. I was low on time, so I just laid the bike on its side, and threw the standard DP back in it and hit the road. It was a good ride, other than trashing a new radiator shroud, and breaking all 3 pipe dampers on a log, but I digress...
Fast forward to last night’s Q&A shout out. I hadn’t done anything else to the bike upon returning home, except to spray it off and put it away. I hit the hot tub, where I do a lot of my pondering, and started typing away. Mostly, I was just wondering if anyone had a quick clue, off hand.
Today, I drained the oil, and took it apart again, just to see what there was to see. This is where it got a bit confusing. First off, I do have a well worn service manual. I also have the later model 500 supplement. If you look at the parts explosion in the service manual, one of the washers is depicted as a bigger outer diameter than the other. In the parts diagram (which I was looking at in the hot tub on my iPhone) they appear to be the same size on the drawing. That started my brain thinking that I had put them in backwards perhaps, because when I checked the other motor I have for reference, one was visibly thicker than the other, but the same diameter inside and outside. I was not the one who assembled that motor though. Also, when I put the Rekluse in mine, I did not disassemble the hub and basket, so I had not yet looked at the washers. When I did, I discovered that they cannot be interchanged, as the one between the hub and basket (92022) is an outer diameter too large to fit between the basket and case bearing, without hitting the idler gear for the kick starter. Only the 92022A will fit there. (The 92922B is the spline lock washer, so it had no dimensions listed, as it is a special part) So, my motor was assembled correctly all along. This lead to two more questions. First, WTF is up with that other motor’s clutch? And second, what is going on with mine, that the Rekluse won’t work?
The short answer to the WTF question is that the guy who put together the other motor substituted in a mystery washer, and I had made the mistake of using it as an example of possible correctness in the first place. It caused a great deal of confusion, and is ultimately what made me post the question about mine.
As far as mine went, I measured a few pieces and found that my push rod was a wee bit short, my throw out bearing shim was wrong (too thin, from a previous clutch set up) and my cable, although pretty new, was just a tad long. It only takes a couple of mm to screw things up collectively. All I needed to do was put a thicker shim on the throw out bearing hat, and the Rekluse adjusted out as advertised. It all seems fine now.
Just thought you might get a kick out of all of that, and I’m sure you were at least a little curious as to how it all turned out. I also really appreciate you reminding me that some of the parts on some of the sites do list dimensions. I had forgotten to look at that. It would have maybe clued me in to the other motor having a wrong washer in it sooner.

Thanks again.
Brent.

Return to “Clutch”