Hello my name is Luke!

Who are you? Tell us something about yourself.
LukeG

Hello my name is Luke!

Post by LukeG » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:22 am

And I have a problem! For some silly reason I decided to restore a 1990 KX250 and make it into a period 6 road racing motard. Sandblaster is a bad influence, I believe he goes by a few other aliases, K5saveslives and he has a given name somewhere out there.
This is my plan for my bike, I have also started a thread about it on KX Riders:
93 cylinder, bored to 72mm, ported, new power valves
92 KX 250 crank, this is the year they went to the 72mm stroke as opposed to the 70mm stroke of the 90. I have the cranks side by side and except for the stroke they are the same
91 KDX 250 transmission, the wider spread of gears will give me plenty of top speed without sacrificing low speed. 15/44 gearing will be a starting point. I need to be able to do more than 100mph
I have a FMF fatty pipe and I have also bought a PSI pipe. Not sure which one I will use I will have to try them both. As for the silencer, probably a PC or a DEP only because that's what I can get
I have a 4 piston FTE brake caliper or a 6 piston Beringer brake caliper to use I need to get more clarification on the rules before deciding which brakes to run
Suspension has been rebuilt and setup for motard
Frame needs a few welding repairs and then it will be powder coated green.
My other bike is a DRZ 400 motard, which has been modified to the hills as well. I have three sets of 17 inch wheels I can use with a 4.25, 4.5 and 5 inch rear. Trouble is the rear KX hub is 5mm narrower than the RMZ wheels I have between the sprocket and rotor inside faces. That makes two of the wheel sets hard to fit. The 4.5 rear is built for a DRZ, but they are RAD hubs with bolt on carriers so I can buy carriers to suit the KX
Need to get some 13mm offset triples made, I have a set of 06 KX450F titanium footpegs to go on. This will take some modifying to get on but I belive the end result will be worth it.

I'm a toolmaker by trade and have access to plenty of machines to make stuff as its required. I just need time and money.
Thanks for your time.

Luke

Sandblaster

Re: Hello my name is Luke!

Post by Sandblaster » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Luke.
Welcome to my site!
Your right... I have a few different names.... Sandblaster, Sandblastermaster, K5saveslives, and probably a few others I have forgotten.
It's nice to know that I'm a bad influence as my wife says I'm not good for anything :o
I am very interested in your project.
Please post pics of what you are doing as many others will be watching.
Nothing fancy about posting pics on this site.
Click
"Attachments"
"Add files"
Find the file on your computer and click on it, then click
"Open"
Put your cursor where you want the picture to be in your post, then click
"Place inline"
oem-cycle.com 1990 kx250 supermoto build 101.jpg
oem-cycle.com 1990 kx250 supermoto build 101.jpg (225.23 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
Beautiful!

If you want I can transfer your other pics as well.
It's too bad your so far away, I'd love to help with your engine clean up :D
Any questions you have I'd be glad to help all I can.

Hitting 100 will be a challenge even with better gearing but I know it's possible so go for it!
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:27 pm

I went ahead and posted your build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=950
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

LukeG

Post by LukeG » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Thanks for that. I have a lot more photos but using an iPad makes it hard to post them.
I should be getting the engine parts cleaned this week.

Return to “Who are you? Give us an introduction.”